How to Improve Yourself Right NOW (and Why) – Prof. Jordan Peterson

Psychology professor Jordan B. Peterson provides practical advice on how you can get some substantial self improvement started – even within the hour. For good reason.

This is only a small excerpt of Jordan Peterson’s comprehensive lecture “2017 Personality 10: Humanism & Phenomenology: Carl Rogers”. You can watch it entirely here:

Did you know that Dr. Peterson also developed an online program that helps you to analyze your past, to get your present life in order and to identify a more rewarding path for your future? It’s called “Self Authoring”
It’s not free, but it has been proven to work in studies performed with university students.

Psyche Matters is an official affiliate of the program, so if you follow the link through, you will not only support Jordan Peterson and his endeavors but also this channel in a small way and most importantly yourself. Thank you.

hung nguyen says:

Once u listen to this sir, u cant stop listening

FilthyCasualGaming says:

where is Fallout? Loved the video but misleading thumbnail…flag

Danny C says:

If I would have only watched this four years ago I would be in a totally different path today. It’s sad, but I’m glad it is now over.

Jobie wan-kanobie says:

People that say "I will skip my workout today and eat that doughnut because how much of a difference will that make in body weight" are the same type of people who say "I'll buy this thing even though I am in debt because how much of a difference will it make?" While it is true one workout and salad wont even make 1/10 of a pound of difference. It is the lifestyle that makes a huge difference in every part of your life. We shouldn't go on diets or be frugal for a while we should make for ourselves a way of life that will make life better.

deputydog7669 says:

mynameforever1 says:

I think the thumbnail was an illuminati effort to get gamers to clean their rooms

Emanuel Stenberg says:

Fuck you cunt uploader using a clickbait Thumbnail.

Alex Kaplan says:

Clean your room.

I just found your channel, thank you for posting this. My mum passed from a long illness a year ago, my bf left me soon after, I lost my job , then I got a DUI. Right now I am in so much trouble, I don't know where to start first. My room is a mess btw, I don't even brush my teeth if I don't have to go somewhere. I don't what will happen next, I feel like i am stuck in a revolving chaos that is spinning out of control. What do I do

ulf stewart says:

Oh shit, better not aim at the toilet bowl.

TVC15ohoh says:

Not one of his better videos. This side of a dry heave IMO. Yeah, yeah, be aware of what you aim at, okay…. What else? Unsatisfying.

KeyboardKramer says:

I checked behind my monitor at 1:53 and had to pause the video and get some fiberglass wipes.

Robert Wrag says:

I was a mess for at least 10 years and then i stumbled on this videos, long story short, it helped me a lot to cope with some people including myself. For example, last night i reasoned with a guy that was swaying his knife at me in drunken state by not showing fear or anger.

Tim Noonan says:

"You see what you aim at."

I needed to hear that

J12to4 says:

How can i improve myself?
Why should I improve myself? Because it causes suffering and pain if you dont.
Sit in your room and ask yourself "If i had to made this room better what would it be?"
Make slight changes. improvements. look for things to fix easily.
What is in need of repair in my life? Do it.
Fix 100 trivial things in your life and it will be much better.
Mundane tasks, eating, brushing your teeths.
The things that you do every day are the most important.

Fix yourself before you extend it to the world.
Stay within your domain of competence.
Some things you cant change.

Have a aim.
You see what you aim at in life.

Be careful what you aim at.

Dirtmaid says:

I Cant clean my room. I'm obsessively watch Dr Peterson's videos on the youtubes….

Xikini says:

My rendition of the video, reconstructed into helping myself believe the questions originated from myself.

Q: What can I do to improve myself?
QQ: Why should I even bother improving myself?
A: So I don't suffer more stupidly then I have to.

Q: How would I go about getting my act together?
A: Look around myself for something that bothers me, and see if I can fix it.
Ex: Sit alone in a room and ask myself, "If I spent 10 minutes making this room better, what would I have to do?"
-> I need to ask myself the questions genuinely. My mind needs an aim.
-> I can only see what I'm currently aiming at.
-> What I aim at determines the way the world will manifest itself around me.
-> The world will reconfigure itself around that aim.
-> The more I fix around myself, the better the world around me will become.
-> My life will become different.

Q: What should I fix?
QQ: Where should I start?
A: Fix the things I repeat every day.
-> My routines, the things I do every day, are the most important things I will ever do.

Q: How can I extend improving myself to improving the things around me?
A: Stay within my domain of competence. Fix only the things I can competently remedy.
-> If I find something that I'm not sure how to improve, I shouldn't attempt to improve it then and there.
-> Just because the problem presented itself to be repaired doesn't mean I am competent enough to do so.
-> I need to have humility and understand when something it outside my domain of competence.
-> There is no reason to not get help to resolve something, if I am not the correct person for the job.

60cm Hengst says: